Saturday 29 September 2012

Waking up before the sun



It’s only been just over two weeks since my last post however it feels like forever ago.
A new time of the day for me, one I wish was still a mystery
 Three weeks in, the course is already rather intense! I realised today that since I started I haven’t actually had an entire day work free, and I think I really need it, so I’ve worked super hard today to get tomorrows tasks done too so I can
have a day off. I’m going to my grandma’s 70th birthday party and I’m really looking forward to spending some time with the family whilst I still have time!
I now need Rocket Fuel to get me through the day!
On to the exciting stuff… I found out my placement!! I’m going to be working with Year 2 at a ‘good’ infant school. I did a dummy run to see how long it will take to get there, it was about a 15 minute walk and a 15 minute bus ride, which I’m sure will be fine in dry weather, but I don’t imagine it’ll be too pleasant when it’s raining and I have folders, books to mark and resources to carry!
A bit of scenery on the way to get my bus to school!

Overall though I’m really eager to get started. The school itself looks nice and it’s in a good area. I go in to the school on Wednesday for an induction day. I can’t wait to meet my kids and my mentor! 

The university side of things is also getting more interesting. Orientation weeks are over and last week was our first of normal timetable. I get Tuesdays, Wednesday afternoons and Friday afternoons to do ‘free study’ and they’re much needed. I think the thing I’m struggling to get to grips with at the moment is less the sheer amount of things to do and more how they’re all disjointed and not all in one place. We have directed tasks for workshops, readings for lead lectures, school based tasks, level 7 assignments, subject knowledge development, preparing for qts, presentations, viva voces, posters and mini lessons to plan. And that’s without even starting on the multitude of things we have to do on placement! 

I’m really enjoying the workshops though. We have maths, English, science and one foundation subject workshop each week. Last week we did R.E. We had to do a 5 minute activity on a religion, our group chose Buddhism and we got everyone to meditate which was fun! In Science we did an experiment about sugar dissolving in water to help us with our process skills. We got to be maths detectives in maths, our tutor is great! And in English we started to get to grips with phonics. Next week we have to teach a ten minute phonics lesson as a group. Our group have to plan a lesson around phase 3 and we’re focusing on introducing two new tricky words, ‘he’ and ‘she’. Now that it’s planned I’m looking forward to it.

Outside of studying I am trying to keep at least a bit of a life, but it’s not easy! I’ve been on a night out with PGCE buddies, been to the cinema, eaten pizza, listened to live music, shopped at the student lockdown and even went to Zumba, so life could definitely be worse!

I’ll update on how my school visit goes after Wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment