Wednesday 5 September 2012

Making the most of freedom



Today has been the most gloriously wasted day. I woke up this morning and realised that today will probably be the last full day where I have no plans, no assignments, no lesson plans, absolutely nothing of importance I needed to do or anywhere I needed to go, for the next 9 months at least. Tomorrow I go out and get my hair done, Friday will involve lots of packing and shopping, the weekend will be spent moving and then on Monday the course begins. And if the stories are to be believed, free time will be something of a distant memory.

Today, instead of reading one of my many sparkly new teaching books, or gathering materials, or exercising, or cleaning, I sat and watched a few movies, read my book, listened to some music, did a bit of washing and packed a couple of bags (not that you’d believe me if you saw how much stuff I still have in my room). Part of me feels a bit guilty as there’s still so much more subject knowledge I should be gaining, skills tests I should be practising for and teaching theories I should be learning about, but the other part of me thinks that I really should just step back and enjoy these last 2 days before things change so drastically.


So today wasn’t a complete waste of time I have typed my notes and observations from my work experiences up. I worked with a Year 1 class for three weeks in September and a Year 6 class for two weeks in May. Frustratingly at the time I didn’t keep the best notes, and as I’m getting on a bit my memory isn’t as sharp as it should be! But I think I’ve got some useful ideas to help me in my coming placement.

I was lucky that I have had the chance to observe a couple of excellent teachers who I could really aspire to be like. I’ve got their contact details and they’ve said I’m welcome to contact them if I have any questions or need any advice.

I’m really eager to start now and find out my placement! Whether it’s with a year 1 class who pass around a stomach bug resulting in various children puking all around the classroom or a year 6 class where the children love to write stories about poo and sick, I’m ready to get stuck in and roll with the punches! Fingers crossed I haven't changed my tune come this time next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment